Feeling like Thai today? Forget the take-out and try this delicious Pad see ew! Pad see ew is a popular thai street food thats is similar to pad thai but is made with a slightly different sauce and extra thick noodles. This dish is filled with bold savoury and fresh flavours. This dish is super quick and easy to make. Forget take-out today and make this at home for the whole family to enjoy.
You will need
Setup & grill the tofu:
Bring water to a boil for the noodles.
Drain the tofu. Dice the tofu in 2 cm pieces. Sprinkle with cornstarch. In an oiled pan on medium heat, cook the tofu for 2 minutes per side or until golden. Add 1/3 of the pad see ew sauce and cook 1 minute. Set aside.
Prepare the vegetables: Wash and clean all produce. Thinly slice the onion, mushroom and the daredevil pepper. Cut the chinese broccoli in 2 inch pieces.
Cook the vegetables:
In an oiled pan on medium heat, add the onion and mushroom. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the chinese broccoli and cook an additional 3 minutes. Add the rest of the pad see ew sauce. Cook for 2 minutes.
Cook the noodles & assemble:
When the water is boiling, add the thick rice noodles and boil for 4-5 minutes. Drain.
Add the tofu and the thick rice noodles to the vegetables and combine.
Prepare the garnish: Cut the lime in 6 wedges, roughly chop the cilantro and peanuts.
Garnish & serve: Garnish with the daredevil pepper, the peanuts, lime wedges, and cilantro. Serve.
What's in my kit
Note: For the list of ingredients, scoll to the bottom of the page.
Dr. Craig Herrington, Naturopath
Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, contain sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol that have been shown to reduce the incidence of premenopausal breast cancer.
Cooking with Kids
Lacey Engel, Registered Dietician
Beyond Baby Nutrition
Cooking for kids?
It can take up to 20 different exposures of the same food before some kids may even try it. So keep calm, and offer the same food in different ways.
Go easy on the pad see sauce if the kids are sensitive to the taste of soy sauce. Go easy on or avoid the cilantro as it has a strong flavour. You may want to avoid the daredevil pepper for the children.
Making this recipe with kids?
Ask the child to help with the following steps:
- 3: Add the rest of the pad see ew sauce and combine.
- 5. Separate the cilantro leaves.
- 6. Serve and garnish their plate.
Recommended Wine Pairing
Black cellar Malbec merlot
Aromas of plum, cherry, and licorice. Flavours of sweet raspberry and plums.
Region: Canada, Niagara Peninsula
Price (SLGA): $12.20
Caliterra reserve sauvignon blanc
The nose is highly aromatic, highlighting its great freshness and aromas of tropical fruits like mango and passion fruit.
Price (SLGA): $12.88
Note: We cannot guarantee any dish is allergen free.
Plan: Plant-based, vegan:
- firm tofu: water, soybeans (non-GMO), magnesium chloride, calcium sulphate
- thick rice noodle (rice, water)
- chineese broccoli
- pad see ew sauce (dark soy sauce (soybeans, wheat, salt, water), soy sauce, hoisin sauce (Sugar, water, soybeans, salt, sweet potato, modified corn starch, sesame seeds, garlic, wheat flour, chili peppers, spices, caramel color, acetic acid, FD&C Red color no. 40, potassium sorbate added as a preservative), brown sugar, miso, cornstarch, vinegar, garlic powder)
- daredevil pepper
Gluten friendly variation:
- pad see ew sauce (all purpose liquid soy seasoning (vegetable protein from soybeans, water), hoisin sauce (water, molasses, all purpose liquid soy seasoning (vegetable protein from soybeans, water), brown sugar, miso, cornstarch, kombu (sea vegetable) vinegar, spices)